Zendesk, Inc., Senior DevOps Engineer -
San Francisco, CA
( August, 2012November, 2012 )
- Streamlining, evolving, building, and rebuilding : Elegant infrastructure emphasising real business value.
- Fixing, repairing, and returning to operation : Broken systems, processes, and service delivery 24/7/365 by whatever means neccessary.
- Enabling, bridging, communicating, and educating : Engineering and the wider business organisation with the software delivery system and interface that is Operations.
Votizen, Inc., Engineer -
San Francisco, CA
( March, 2012July, 2012 )
- Deployment and management of many servers via script and chef, utilizing cloud providers as a direct substrate for implementation
- Designing, implementing, and maintaining overall operational systems architecture, operational interface, and development environments
- Guiding engineering technology focus on a project to project basis to ensure proper operational capacity and correct application architecture requirements from design through to production and maintenance
- Being On-Call 24/7/365 in a maintenance and proactive response role to ensure operational continuity and access to critical infrastructure knowledge
3Crowd Technologies, Inc., Systems Engineer -
San Mateo, CA
( December, 2009March, 2012 )
- Deploying and managing many servers utilizing both traditional and cloud oriented providers (for example, Amazon EC2) with the Chef platform configuration system from first light, through initial technology development, and into production and maintenance
- Integrating, packaging, and deploying both third-party code and internal code, often modifying third-party code when needed to meet internal needs
- Guiding engineering technology focus from first light to ensure proper operational capacity and correct application requirements and technology match through to production and continued development phases
- Being On-Call 24/7/365 to ensure operational continuity
Wikia, Inc., Community Team Member -
San Francisco, CA
( October, 2007December, 2008 ) Intern from October to February 2007, then employee
- Communicating with user community to ensure software meets community needs. When it did not, my responsibility was either modifying in place or submiting new specifications to product development and engineering groups
- Data mining and information extraction from large amounts of plain text to gather statistics about user activity in order to focus attention on communities most in need
- Serving as operations liaison for user community and community team in order to keep user community informed during site outages when they occurred
Bachelors of Science
( 2006 ) incomplete
University of Iowa ,Major: Computer Science (Focus in Graphics and Network Computing)
Iowa City, Iowa
Associates of Science
( 2003-2005 )
Missouri Academy of Science, Mathematics, and Computing Northwest Missouri State University ,
Skills and Abilities
Admitted to the Missouri Academy of Science, Mathematics, and Computing
- A rigorous pre-university program that exposes advanced students to a university environment. Students are housed on campus and are expected to perform at the level of a college freshmen while taking on the extra responsibilities of adjusting to life away from home. Successful students are granted an Associates of Science for general education experience.
- Granted Technician status for amateur radio operations by the Federal Communications (KC0GRY, since 1999)
References available on request.